In 1860 Giovanni Panerai opened his watchmaker's shop in Florence, it wasn't only a shop and workshop but also served as the city's first watchmaking school, Officine Panerai's was born. The shop later moved to its current location in the Palazzo Arcivescovile in Piazza San Giovanni, Italy, changing its name to "Orologeria Svizzera" at the beginning of the twentieth century.
In 1916 Stemming from Marie and Pierre Curie’s 1898 discovery, to meet the military needs of the Royal Italian Navy, Officine Panerai created Radiomir, a radium-based powder that gives luminosity to the dials of sighting instruments. Reference to the name "Radiomir" is documented in the patent filed in France on 23 March 1916. The substance's properties are perfect for military applications with high visibility and the paint's excellent underwater adhesive qualities.
In 1936 Panerai created the first prototypes of the model now known as "Radiomir" for the frogman commandos of the First Submarine Group Command of the Royal Italian Navy. The Navy's historical archives record that just ten prototypes were produced in 1936. It was during this time that a very unusual relationship between Rolex and Panerai was forged with the production of the Ref: 2533. The design comes from a 47mm Rolex Oyster pocket watch. That was turned on its side so that the crown would be now located at 3 o’clock. In 1949 Panerai introduced a new luminescence substance called Luminor that was not only safer than radium-based Radiomir but also much more luminous. In 1955 Panerai launched the Luminor, a watch created for the Royal Italian Navy with its characteristic crown guard designed in the 1950s, invented by brother and sister Giuseppe and Maria Giuseppe Panerai. It wasn’t until 1993 that Panerai finally released the Luminor and Luminor Marina to the public. Today Officine Panerai is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Richemont S.A Group that includes Cartier, IWC, Montblanc, Vacheron Constantin.
Our Panerai Luminor Marina 1950 3 Days PAM00312 was first introduced in 2009. A modern take on the Luminor watches of the 1950s. The distinctive 44mm brushed cushion case curves at the lugs. A lug to lug length of 53.5mm and a thickness of 18mm gives the watch impressive wrist presence. On the right side, a screw-down signed crown with the large crescent crown guard, a Panerai trademark, ensures that the crown is pushed against the case. A polished bezel holds a domed sapphire crystal above a black sandwich dial. The upper level has cut out numerals and batons with the luminescence coming through from the lower level. At 3 o’clock a date window. At 9 o’clock a small seconds register. Long sword hands have luminescence infill. The text is finely printed in white. On the reverse, a screw-down exhibition case back with sapphire crystal. Inside an Automatic Panerai Cal. P. 9000, 28 jewels, 28,800 beats per hour. The movement has two barrels, a bidirectional skeletonised rotor for excellent efficiency. It has a quick set hour mechanism, that allows you to set the date and hour without stopping the movement. The watch comes fitted on a 24mm black Alligator strap with a signed brushed buckle. Comes with its Panerai presentation box and papers.
Points of Mention
This watch is sold with its original Panerai box and Panerai paperwork, with a case protector. The watch comes paired on its original Panerai leather strap with a signed buckle, the rubber strap and tools are also included in the box. The watch is from February 2015 and is sold in worn condition, but overall fair condition as you can see. The watch comes with our 12-Months Warranty.