Cyma was founded in 1862 by the brother's Joseph Schwob and Theodore Schwob in the town of Le Locle, Switzerland. In 1871, Henri Sandoz established Sandoz & Cie in Le Locle. Sandoz moved to Tavannes in 1891, just North of Biel, where he manufactured highly desirable repeaters and chronographs. Sandoz soon saw the potential of Cyma forming a business relationship with the Schwob brothers and Cyma was officially registered in 1903. In 1943, Cyma unveiled its first automatic wristwatch, endowed with a 420 caliber featuring a unidirectional rotor. In 1966, the ASUAG Chronos Holding and production company was bought, and production continued under their Synchron group in 1968. Cyma became a sister company to Doxa and Ernest Borel throughout the 1970s. The company is currently owned by Stelux International Ltd, a Hong Kong holding firm that invests in jewellery and watches.
We have here a 1950s CYMA Watersport 789 Manual Cal. R458 with a 33mm stainless steel case. The long slender tapering lugs with a lug to lug length of 40.5mm and a thickness of 9mm ensures a comfortable fit on your wrist. On the right side is a signed crown. A fine bezel holds a domed crystal above an evenly patinated dial. An outer minute track with applied Arabic numerals at 12, 3, 6, and 9, teardrop indices sit between marking the hours. At 6 o’clock a recessed sub-seconds register. Elegant dauphine hands complete this well-balanced dial. At 12 o’clock the CYMA motif and text are precisely printed. On the reverse, a screw-down case back. Inside a Manually Wound CYMA Cal. R458, 17 jewels, 18,000 beats per hour. The watch comes fitted on a 17mm quick release strap.
Points of Mention
This watch is sold as "Watch Only" and therefore comes with no original CYMA box or paperwork. The watch comes paired on a well-suited leather strap. The watch is from Circa. 1950s and is sold in worn, vintage condition with signs of wear and age throughout, but overall very fair for its age. The watch comes with our 12-Months NON-Waterproof Warranty.