Points of Mention
This watch is sold as "Watch Only" and therefore comes with no original Angelus box or paperwork. The watch comes paired on a 20mm leather strap. The watch is from Circa. 1940s and is sold in worn, vintage condition, but remains in all original and very fair condition for its age. The watch comes with our 12-Months NON-Waterproof Warranty, do keep in mind this is a 1940s Chronograph and requires a more delicate approach to wearing.
Brothers Albert and Gustav Stolz founded Angelus in 1891 in Le Locle, Switzerland. They began with just a room on the Rue du Marais. The third brother, Charles Stolz, joined Angelus In 1898. After hiring 15 additional workers in 1904 they decided to start making their own movement blanks (ébauches) and to build their own manufacturing facility. Specialising in complicated movements including repeaters and chronographs. In 1925 they launched their first in-house mono-pusher chronograph and ten years later they developed their first two-pusher chronograph. At the beginning of WW2 in 1940 the Hungarian Air Force bought their chronographs. Innovation continued during the war years and in 1942 they caused a sensation in the world of watchmaking by launching the world’s first series chronograph with a calendar. Through their innovation and movement complications, they were soon picked up by many brands such as Panerai in 1955 who chose the 8-day caliber SF240 to be fitted in their Italian Navy watches which you can recognise by the small seconds at 9 o’clock. Not stopping there in 1958 they launched the Tinkler, which is both the first-ever automatic repeater wristwatch as well as the first waterproof repeater wristwatch. In 1978 in collaboration with Dubois Dépraz they produced a five-minute repeater. Manufacturer La Joux-Perret bought Angelus in 2011. Later in 2012 Citizen Group purchased La Joux-Perret for CHF 65 million.
Here we have a 1940s Angelus Chronograph with a 38mm stainless steel case. The brushed sides of the case flow over your wrist ending with flat-ended tapered lugs. A lug to lug length of 47.5mm and a case thickness of 12.5mm ensure a comfortable fit. On the right side, we have the chronograph pushers and a large crown in the center. A stepped smooth bezel holds a domed crystal above a black dial. An outer Tachymere scale with the 60-minute track underneath is painted in white. Arabic numerals coated in Radium luminance mark the hours. At 3 o’clock a 45-minute register and at 9 o’clock the small second’s register. The bi-compax registers are nicely balanced on the dial, reminding us of the Heuers, Breitling, and Longines of that period. Syringe hands filled with Radium luminescence complemented by a tapered chronograph hand complete the racing dial. At 12 o’clock we have the Angelus motif. On the reverse a screw-down case back. Inside a Manually Wound Angelus 215 column-wheel chronograph movement. The watch comes fitted on a 20mm black leather strap.