Brand Directory: Oris

← Back to brand directory

Oris was founded by Paul Cattin and George Christian in the Swiss town of Hölstein.  They bought a factory and signed a contract with the mayor in 1904. Initially making pocket watches in 1925 they started to add bracelets to their pocket watches which soon transitioned into the wristwatch. By 1929, they had a total of six factories. At the end of the 1960s, Oris became one of the largest watch companies in the world, producing approximately 1.2 million timepieces a year. In 1982 Dr Rolf Portmann and Ulrich W. Herzog led a management buyout from Swatch Group. Unhappy with the way the Group was running things.

Oris SA was born as an independent Swiss watch brand. 

2002 saw their distinctive Red Rotor become an Oris registered Trademark.