Brand Directory: Glashutte
In 1845 Ferdinand Adolph Lange established his workshop in the German town of Glashütte. Glashütte (Sa.) limited company was registered in 1918, producing pocket watches in 1921 with the words, “Original Glashütte” on the dial. In 1927, this company would become known as UROFA, producing movement blanks or ébauches. At the same time, a second company, UFAG, built and distributed watches. It was at the same time that the name “Glashütte Original” first appeared on the dial of a wristwatch.
After the reunification of Germany in 1990, VEB Glashütter Uhrenbetriebe became Glashütter Uhrenbetriebe GmbH. In 1994, a Bavarian businessman, Heinz Pfeiffer took over the business and brought back the name “Glashütte Original”. This company was ultimately sold to the Swatch Group in 2000.
Today, Glashütte Original, under the ownership of the Swatch Group, produces some exquisite timepieces.