Brand Directory: FAVRE-LEUBA
Abraham Favre became master watchmaker of Le Locle in 1749. With his sons Frédéric and Henry-Louis he founded A. Favre & Fils in 1792. Frédéric son Henry Auguste joined forces with Auguste Leuba in 1815 travelling the world establishing workshops as they went. By 1851 their Favre-Leuba pocket watches won numerous awards. Fritz Favre replaced his father and continued to expand the business in India. The growing company relocated from Le Locle to Geneva in 1896. Henri Favre-Leuba took over the reins in 1908 and in family tradition expanded the business further and remained as its head until his death in 1961. They produced the first monopusher chronograph in 1925. World markets opened up after the second world war in 1945 setting up distribution centres in London,Switzerland, Bombay, New York to name a few. In 1955 using their FL101 Caliber they released the Sea Chief, Sea King, and Sea Raider. The company was renamed Manufacture d’Horlogerie Favre-Leuba S.A in 1963. Sadly due to the influx of cheap quartz watches into the market during the 1970s by 1985 the family closed the gates of the business for a final time. All was not lost when the Tata Group in 2011 bought the rights to the name and moved their headquarters to Zug, Switzerland. The company celebrated their 280th year anniversary at BaselWorld in 2017.