Brand Directory: Eterna

← Back to brand directory

Eterna was founded in Grenchen, Switzerland in 1856 by Josef Girard and Urs Schild. Jointly founding the famous ébauche factory.

The company was formerly known as Schild Fréres, starting out by producing ladies’ wristwatches. In 1905, the company changed its name to Eterna.

In 1932, Eterna set up a subsidiary company, ETA SA, which made movements for itself and other Swiss watch companies

In 1948, Eterna created the advanced self-winding movement called the Eterna-Matic automatic. They used five ball bearings that were placed in such a way to make the movement very efficient. Its popularity was such that in 1948 Eterna adopted the image of five balls as its corporate logo.

After 1982, Eterna was sold several times. In 1999, Eterna produced a range of watches marketed under the Porsche Design label. Porsche Design sold Eterna to International Volant Ltd, a subsidiary of China Haidian in June 2012. China Haidian was later renamed in 2014 to Citychamp Watch & Jewellery Group Limited where they continue to own Eterna.