Brand Directory: A. Lange and Sohne

← Back to brand directory

A.Lange and Sohne were founded by Adolf Lange in 1845. Based in Glashutte Germany the heart of German watchmaking. 1848 Lange became Mayor of Glashutte where he spent 20 years making Glashutte a thriving Industrial centre for watchmaking. 1875, Lange’s heart failed, and he passed away at the age of 60. Leaving the business to his sons Richard and Emil. In the final months of World War 2, a Russian bombing raid destroyed their workshops. By 1948 the  Soviet administration nationalized the company’s remaining property and for 45 years the name of A. Lange and Sohne was no more. 
It wasn’t until 1989 with the collapse of the Soviet Union and the Iron Curtain that Walter Lange, Adolf Lange’s great-grandson, was finally able to return to Germany and continue his family’s tradition in the field of watchmaking. 1990 saw him re-register the name and 4 years later produced their first timepiece in nearly half a century. In 2001, after 10 years of restoration work, the A. Lange and Sohne workshop reopened in the remains of the destroyed building. In the years since the brand has gone on to create over 40 new movements, and achieve over 150 international horological prizes.